Related Sites:

People’s State Bank

218 East Third Street Peoples State Bank
1912

People’s State Bank – 1895
218 East Third Street

In the year 1887, Charles Palmer established a private bank, with Harry E. Palmer, his son, as head cashier.  This private bank operated in a wooden structure further to the west on Third Street

In 1895, Mr. Palmer built this neat and spacious two-story brick building on his lot on Third Street, next to Walter Walker & Company’s elevator lots.  The building was constructed of red pressed brick with Brear stone trimmings.  It was constructed in a thorough manner throughout.  In 1887, the Imlay City Times newspaper reported, “The plans of the building are a credit to our thriving little city, architecturally and otherwise.”  The first floor was built for the growing banking business.

The building was wired for electric lights and was well-lighted, not only from the front but the side as well, and was finished in the latest modern style.  Arthur Hudson of Almont completed some of the fine carpenter work.  The bank opened for business on December 20, 1895.  A Mosler burglarproof safe in the latest pattern, screw door, and triple time lock was installed.  The next year, in 1896, Mr. Palmer had the bank building papered. It wasn’t until 1913 that the bank placed a set of safety deposit boxes in their vault for the use of their patrons.

Several businesses occupied the second story at one time such as an attorney, an art studio and a doctor.  On June 26, 1896 Dr. Stanley Large, a dentist, opened his office over the bank and remained there for many years.

 

People’s State Bank
218 East Third Street

Continuing on your tour...

Thursdays
10:00 AM-4:00 PM
May- October
Corner of Third & Main Streets

Tuesdays
7:00 PM
June-August
Lamb Steele Park

Saturday
September 28, 2019
6:00 PM- 10:00 PM
Downtown Imlay City

Friday, December 6, 2019
6:00 PM
Downtown Imlay City

Imlay City DDA

150 North Main Street

Imlay City, MI 48444

8:00 AM- 4:30 PM

Scroll to Top