Ariel rear view of Building B. Building A can be seen in the distance. Circa 1875
Walker Brothers Elevator – 1875
80 Main Street
Walter Walker and John Coope founded the storehouse and elevator known as Walker & Coope Elevator in 1874. Various improvements were made from time to time, until the firm was running two fire-proof elevators that were sheathed first with fire-proof paper and then covered with corrugated iron, having a total capacity of 60,000 bushels of grain.
The firm later known as Walter Walker & Company, dealt in grain, salt, coal, lime, brick, sewer pipe, drain pipe and other articles. Their business constantly increased and was one of the leading institutions not only of Imlay City but the entire surrounding country as well. The elevator was still in operation as late as 1976.
John Coope disposed of his interest in the Walker & Coope Elevator in 1889 due to ill-health and retired to Pasadena, California. However, he returned to Imlay City in 1890 to pursue other business opportunities.
Walter and Robert Walker, Sr., came to Imlay City in 1873. The elevator was built on the south side of Third Street behind the present American Legion Hall, and known as building A. The railroad placed a spur close to the back door of the elevator for loading grain. Large quantities of grain were purchased from farmers all over the area and shipped out in car lots. (Building A in later years was demolished.) They built a large storage elevator on the east side of south Main Street where wool purchased from farmers was stored.
The Schonfeld Brothers (Jack and Harold) later purchased the storage building known as building B.
Walker Brothers Elevator
80 Main Street