Related Sites:

Dr. Martin’s House and Office

Churchill
Dr. Philip E. Martin

Dr. Martin’s House and Office – 1906
243 East Third Street

Dr. Philip Edgar Martin, was born October 6, 1870 in Lindsay, Ontario, Canada.  He was one of three children, the others being George, who died in 1903, and Jackwho died in infancy.

Dr. Martin was educated in the public schools of Lindsay until the age of 12.  He then attended Upper Canada College of Toronto, a preparatory school, and Trinity College of Medicine in Toronto. He studied a year at the Detroit College of Medicine, graduating in 1891 at the age of 21.

Immediately after graduation he located to Orion, Michigan, where he married Jessie M. Anderson.  In 1899 he moved to Imlay City and in 1906 built the home located at 243 East Third Street. The home also served as his office where he continued the general practice of medicine until his untimely death in January of 1929 when he was killed in an automobile accident north of town.  He is buried in the Orion Cemetery.

The building was later purchased by the Churchill family who also lived in the house and operated an insurance agency in the front portion and enclosed porch. Today, Churchill Insurance still operates from the main floor.

Dr. Martin’s House and Office
243 East Third Street

Continuing on your tour...

Thursdays
1:00 PM-6:00 PM
May- October
Corner of Third & Main Streets

Tuesdays
7:00 PM
June-August
Lamb Steele Park

Saturday
September 28, 2019
6:00 PM- 10:00 PM
Downtown Imlay City

November 30, 2018
6:00 PM
Downtown Imlay City

Imlay City DDA

150 North Main Street

Imlay City, MI 48444

8:00 AM- 4:30 PM

Scroll to Top