Related Sites:

E. E. Palmer House

480 North Main Street
E. E. Palmer House

E.E. Palmer House
480 North Main Street
1903

E.E. Palmer, brother of Imlay City’s founder Charles Palmer, built this home in 1903 during the Victorian Era. The house was later owned by the John Worthy family. This property was somewhat of a small farm in early years since there were no surrounding houses.  The remnants of a foundation for the slaughter house can still be found on the property.  (The Worthy family owned a meat market in the downtown area.)   In later years the house was divided so as to contain a small apartment on the second floor.  At one time the house contained many pocket doors and still retains the original beautiful fireplace.

Edward Palmer came to Imlay City in 1870 to manage his brother Charles Palmer’s hotel, the Bancroft House.  That hotel burned in 1873.  Edward Palmer was appointed the first postmaster in Imlay City in 1874.  In 1888 he started a stationery and variety store, specializing in school supplies and school furniture.  He later was a partner in a furniture business known as Buck & Palmer.  He sold the store in 1901 to Frank Rathsburg who had been a clerk in a general store in Almont.  Palmer served as postmaster for many years and as a village trustee.  He was also the first to run the telephone office, a state line, as in the early days there was no exchange.

After selling his business he devoted his time to farming, developing the Belle River flats, east of town, then operated by the Belle River Celery Company.  When he conducted the Belle River business it was known as Riverside Farm.

The street known as Grove Street was in earlier days known as “Palmer’s Grove” and was a tree-shaded area where residents picnicked and the GAR would encamp during celebrations.

Mr. Palmer married  Catherine Kellogg Farley (born March 10, 1849, died March 5, 1928 in California) in Imlay City on November 13, 1875. Mr. Palmer died in Long Beach, California where he had retired and his remains were returned to Imlay City and interred in the Imlay Cemetery.

E.E. Palmer House
480 North Main Street
1903

Continuing on your tour...

Posted in

Thursdays
10:00 AM-4:00 PM
May- October
Corner of Third & Main Streets

Tuesdays
7:00 PM
June-August
Lamb Steele Park

Saturday
September 28, 2019
6:00 PM- 10:00 PM
Downtown Imlay City

Friday, December 6, 2019
6:00 PM
Downtown Imlay City

Imlay City DDA

150 North Main Street

Imlay City, MI 48444

8:00 AM- 4:30 PM

Scroll to Top